Thursday 16 August 2012

Posers

I haven't really focused on getting any dragonfly and butterfly shots in the last while, but I think I'll have to make a concerted effort when I'm back for a while in September.  I did take the time to get a few shots tonight and looking at Blue Dashers (Pachydiplax longipennis) makes me want to spend more time snapping off photos of charismatic mega insects.  For the record, the specific epithet of Blue Dasher's scientific name does not mean what you might think it means!  Anyways, enjoy the shots of these posers!

I don't think I've ever met a person that isn't stunned by the eyes of a Blue Dasher - amazing colour!

One of the most vivid local dragonflies is Cardinal Meadowhawk (Sympetrum illotum)

Another shot of a Cardinal Meadowhawk in the low light of the early evening

I personally think the Puget Sound Gumweed (Grindelia stricta) stole the show from this Woodland Skipper (Ochlodes sylvanoides)

No comments:

Post a Comment